[We post job listings for relevant opportunities we think our audience might be interested in under the tag “Job Listings” - all of which can be accessed in the order they are posted by clicking JOB LISTINGS on our sidebar. Check back frequently for the latest updates, and please help disseminate! Also check out The Center for Sexual Pleasure and Health on LinkedIn.]
Note: This is an excerpted job description. Click this link to read the whole thing.
Organization Information: Rosie’s Place is a sanctuary for poor and homeless women. We provide a wide range of services — permanent housing, overnight shelter, advocacy, meals, adult education such as GED and ESL programs, a microenterprise, a food pantry and more. We accept no government money. More than 1000 people volunteer with us each year, as well as more than 40 interns. We were the first shelter for homeless women founded in the country. We also undertake public policy work, currently focused on increasing state funding to substance abuse treatment programs.
The Director of Communications is responsible for creating and implementing a multi-faceted communications strategy in order to draw support from the community for the mission of Rosie’s Place – to provide a safe and nurturing environment for poor and homeless women to maintain their dignity, seek opportunity, and find security in their lives. The Director is expected to manage all aspects of Rosie’s Place’s public relations, media relations, and marketing collateral.
- Develop and oversee annual communications plan, which outlines specific activities and tasks aimed at heightening public and donor awareness of Rosie’s Place and its mission.
- Secure free media to publicize the programs of Rosie’s Place, and bolster our fundraising efforts. Cultivate relationships with media persons, and work with Rosie’s Place staff to develop and refine Rosie’s Place’s message, as well as generate story ideas. Serve as a representative of Rosie’s Place as needed in public appearances and community relations.
- Boost Rosie’s Place’s public profile, building upon our strong reputation and brand.
- Maintain the high quality of our existing printed collateral – newsletters, annual report, brochures, etc., and direct the creation of any new marketing materials. Review all materials created by other Rosie’s Place staff for publication or distribution.
- Direct online marketing efforts, overseeing social media and the Rosie’s Place website.
- Manage multi-media campaigns, including video production for Rosie’s Place events.
- Manage relationships with designers and vendors so that Rosie’s Place brand is appropriately maintained and project vision is achieved.
- Seek out and manage cause marketing relationships which benefit Rosie’s Place.
- Supervise Communications Assistant.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement communications strategies.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- A strong track record of success in managing multiple projects at once.
- Ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, Rosie’s Place guests, and other supporters.
- Highly organized, innovative thinker, who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to social justice, and to forwarding the work of Rosie’s Place through varied communication channels.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant communications experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting, and a bachelor’s degree required.
How To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to:
Please write “Director of Communications” in the subject line of your email.