If your particular turn on is smooth, completely hairless genitalia - either on you or on a partner - you can call yourself an acomoclitic. Removing all pubic hair can make the genitals more sensitive to the direct touch, making it a tantalizing reason one might choose to take a razor to their nether regions.
Now we never want to be policing anyone’s bodily decisions, and we do want to acknowledge that unfortunately, a lot of the pictures and influences we see in today’s society have an extreme anti-body hair bias (boo!). But just as you’re allowed to shave or not shave, you’re also allowed to have preferences (as long as you don’t associate your personal preferences with broader judgments). So acomoclitics, keep at it, and take note of these tips for effective, fuss-free genital shaving:
- Use a new razor! You want to be using as few strokes as possible to remove hair, since the genitals are sensitive and can be more prone to ingrown pubic hairs. Using a sharp razor will ensure a clean, fast cut. Make sure you’re rinsing it out in-between strokes!
- Trim first with scissors if your pubic hairs are long, so they don’t tangle in the razor.
- Don’t go too fast. These are delicate regions where you really don’t want to nick yourself…
- To treat irritation, try applying an antibacterial soap or astringent containing salicylic acid to your pubes: soap up a few days before and let it sit for 2-10 minutes, and/or dab an astringent on the area immediately after shaving. If you’re a vagina owner, do NOT put this inside your vagina or on any of the hairless inside parts of the vaginal area (clit, labia, etc) - keep it on the outside.
- Use shaving cream or a nice lathery soap to moisturize and ensure a smooth shave…think of it like lube for your razor. And we all know how important lube is.
- Warm it up by running a warm shower or bath and standing in it for a few minutes before you begin your shave - the warmth will open up your hair follicles and relax the skin, as well as keeping you warm as the winter approaches.
Shaving each other can also be a sexy partner activity with a playmate you trust…gather your tools and make a shower spa date of it ;)